HQMT FINAL ENGLISH TEST [Total No. of Questions: 40 Duration: 30 mins]
Name:____________________ Date:________________2010 Marks ______/40
SECTION A-Choose Correct Answers to Fill up Blanks (Subjects, Verbs, Pronouns, Prepositions, etc.)
1. Mr. Smith choked while ___ was ___ a poppy seed bagel with cream cheese.
a) she, ate b) him, eat c) his, eats d) he, eating
2. Empty nest syndrome ____ ____people in the 50- to 60-year-old category.
a. effects, only b. affect, none c. affects, many d. affect, one
3. ___ EKG was noted ____ sinus rhythm with T-wave inversions in V5 and V6.
a. Few, to be with b. A, to been c. An, to be d. An, to being
4. ____ appear to be several lesions on the side ___ the patient's face
a. There, of b. It, in c. That, over d. Here, on
5. _________ a loss of consciousness?
a. There was b. Was they’re c. Were thier d. Was there
SECTION B: Choose Correct Answers (words) that fit into the context of the sentence(s)
1.She reported feeling better; however, ____ fever still spiked ____ the evenings.
a) their/on b) his/in c) her/in d) she/at
2. They went ___ the house to get ___ coats.
a)to/his b) in to/he c) into/their d) onto/they’re
3. I ___ you ___ the party tomorrow evening.
a) would see/at b) will see/at c) had seen/in d) sees/with
4. Her ___ visit is one week ___ today.
a) follow-up/from b) followup/for c) follow up/at d) follow-up/after
5. Others ___ also been introduced___the last few years.
a) has/over b) have/in c) had/for d) are/in
6. He was brought ___ the emergency department __ EMS.
a) For/at b) into/from c) from/to d) to/by
7.The patient continued __ frequent myoclonic jerks.
a) to have b) to had c) with one d) with out
8. It ___ decided that her vigabatrin would __ increased to 750 mg.
a) will/being b) is/have been c) was/be d) has/have
9. She was transitioned __ p.o. feeds __ the morning of discharge.
a) For/on b) to/on c) into/at d) by/after
10. Burning sensation __ the region ___the stomach occurred after meals
a) in/above b) of/in c) within/of d) over/on
SECTION C: Choose Correct Verb(s) that agree(s) with Subject(S)
1. You ____ been smoking Kools for the past 20 years
a. have b. had c. has d. are
2. Both history and examination ____ focus and direction from the patient’s complaints.
a. get b. gets c. has got d. has gotten
3. In a serious illness, appetite, digestion, and bowel function _____disturbance together.
a. suffer b. suffers c. has suffered d. will suffers
4. Each treatment and medication in the list _____ been endorsed by us.
a. has b. have c. is d. are
5. Many a sedative and pain killer ____the brain.
a. have numbing b. numbs c. numb d. will numbed
6. The patient’s blood pressure, as well as his temperature, _____ remained stable.
a. were b will c. has d. have
7. The uterus, together with the right ovary, ___ to be removed.
a. are b. has c. is b. have
8. There _____ no skin lesions present on the head.
a. is b. is being c. has been d. are e. is been
9. Inside the patient’s abdomen _____found numerous tumors.
a. has been b. were c. have been d. was
10. None of the x-rays____ any indication of bone fracture,
a. show b. are showing c. shows d. is showed
SECTION D – Choose the Correctly Punctuated Sentences
1. a. After the game was completed, the patient fainted on the field.
b. After the game was completed the patient fainted on the field.
c. After the game was completed; the patient fainted on the field.
b. She also had multiple lacerations on the face, and her knee was dislocated.
c. She also had multiple lacerations on the face and, her knee was dislocated.
3. a. We know their decision; we will make no arrangements.
b. We know their decision, we will make no arrangements.
. c. Until we know their decision; we will make no arrangements.
4. a. White cell count 17.9, with a diff of 87 segs, hematocrit of 25.8; and Hb of 9.
b. White cell count 17.9 with a diff of 87 segs, hematocrit of 25.8, and Hb of 9.
c. White cell count 17.9 with a diff of 87 segs; hematocrit of 25.8, and Hb of 9.
5. (a) This is a manly appearing 23-year-old female.
(b) This is a manly-appearing 23-years-old female.
(c) This is a manly appearing 23 years’ old female.
b. This African-American male has 2-to-3 cm circular erythema.
c. This African American male has 2-3 cm circular erythema.
7. a. It can at best be described as a non-Hodgkin like lymphoma.
b. It can at best be described as a non-Hodgkin-like lymphoma.
c. It can at best be described as a non Hodgkin-like lymphoma.
8. a. On the morning of April 10, 1996 she was started on Solu Medrol for breathing difficulties.
9. a. Osteoclasts are the cells that break down bone: a process referred to as “bone resorption.”
b. Osteoclasts are the cells that break down bone, a process referred to as; “bone resorption.”
c. Osteoclasts are the cells that break down bone: a process referred to as “bone resorption”.
b. Her boyfriend asked me, "Do you think? it is a case of alcohol withdrawal"?
- Her boyfriend asked me, "Do you think it is a case of alcohol withdrawal?"
11. a. She attempted to extricate herself from the rope (like Houdini), but she hit the concrete floor.
b. She attempted to extricate herself from the rope, (like Houdini) but she hit the concrete floor.
12. a. Her Pap’s were negative for pregnancy.
b. Her Paps were negative for pregnancy.
13. a. The Smiths’s were here for their annual checkup.
b. The Smiths were here for their annual checkup.
c. The Smiths’ were here for their annual checkup.
14. a. This infant, James Reginald D’Arcy, Jr., is alert, cooing, and smiling.
15. a. The doctor assured the little girl, “we can discharge you in a day or two.”
b. The doctor assured the little girl, “We can discharge you in a day or two”.
c. The doctor assured the little girl, “We can discharge you in a day or two.”